Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 13, 2014

About the Cabinets

These works are part of a series that I started in 2011.

I am interested in the ritual uses of furniture, particularly cabinets.  The cabinet format, with its drawers and hidden spaces that might hide closely guarded secrets/objects, seems to me, a fascinating path to investigate.  The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, a German horror film of 1920 was an initial inspiration.

Are these objects art or not?  Do I call them sculptures or furniture?  I really don't care.  The difficulty of categorizing these pieces is part of what attracts me to make them.  I enjoy the tension between functionality and form in space.  I think they are interesting just sitting there whether the doors and drawers open and close or not.  Watching people, especially children, interact with these works is especially rewarding for me.

The works are made of hardwoods, drawn and painted elements, colored epoxy, found objects, hinges and casters.  

Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. Mike, I've been looking for you on line and was happy to find this blog. I believe I took ceramics from you at UNLV many years ago. Loved those classes! II've enjoyed seeing the direction your art has taken you since those days in Vegas! But I have a ceramics question for you. Didn't you show your classes a film of some artist using his whole body to shape a giant "thrown" pot, or bath tub? I've looked for it, or photos of it, and artist's name on line, but have come up empty handed. Do you remember what I'm talking about, and can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi granny and grandpa. I don't remember you (senior moment) but hope you had a good time. Alas, I didn't show the film you are speaking of and have not seen it. There is a great film by Robert Sperry that I used to show a lot. It is called "Potters of Onda":

      Mike

      Delete